View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Default Re: Face, Unrealistic Expectations, and Life (...that should just about cover it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
I'm still debating whether it's wise to write, much less post, this thread, but by the Lords of Kobol, what do I have to lose? These are just my thoughts on a topic that's been doing cartwheels in my brain, so please take them as such - no more, no less.
I'll let you in on a little secret. Been thinking about this topic too ... So don't worry about it. You're not alone

Quote:
As I've recently taken to rewatching a few A-Team episodes and starting a new A-Team fanfic (after a long hiatus), I've been thinking about my previous experience with the show... especially the entity ominously known as The Crush. You know what I'm talking about - that's what initially brought 90% of us here, right? - so don't try to claim plausible deniability.
Crush? What crush? Don't know what you're talking about

Quote:
He's called Faceman for a reason: he is unbelievably good-looking. And well-dressed. And dapper. And charming. In the course of one episode, enough witticisms escape his lips to make the Bard himself jealous. (This may be a slight exaggeration, which is another of his many talents.)
BUT... (let us pause here for dramatic effect)
I think it's because I've become aware that the person I was crushing on was not, in fact, real.
In fact, I think the secret behind the nearly-universal appeal of the Faceman (except to those Murdock girls with a different definition of fun) is the fact that Face is so very Not Real.
As a (pre)teen Templeton Peck sure was my Prince Charming because - indeed - he had it all! He was handsome, cute, smart, ... (and I could go on and on), but indeed he was/is a fictional character. As you described so perfectly LD14: he was the perfect Ken to the Barbie I wanted to be back then as a teen (although he wouldn't have been a very faithful one ).

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why I'm so glad I found this fan site and had the chance to explore the further works and real-life thoughts of Dirk Benedict. Because, I confess, for a while I thought he was essentially like the character he played - perfect, and shallow, and fastidious about suits and ties. But in real life, he's much cooler than that. He's got a lot going on in his mind and his life, he's a well-rounded person, and he hasn't had it all together at every single moment of his life, which he also owns up to - because he, like the rest of us, is a real person.

I like that Dirk has been very candid about some of what he's struggled with, especially in his writings, because it gives hope to the rest of us. If the man behind the face (or the Face) isn't perfect, why should we expect ourselves to be? And if he's been able to progress through his own life by working hard and making mistakes and learning, why shouldn't we be able to find our own brand of "success" in whatever form through a similarly non-linear approach?
I often wondered about that as well until I met him in person and realised what a cool guy he truly is. A real person indeed who opened up to us about some of the struggles he has been dealing with throughout his life and I truly admire him for doing just that.
There is no such thing as 'perfect'. Nothing or nobody is perfect after all. We all have our little flaws and that's okay. We just have to learn to live with this. I guess that's what life is all about: a struggle sometimes but also a constant learning process. So we should just enjoy the beautiful moments of it and try to hang on throughout the struggles we will face at some point(s) in our lives and never stop believing that we'll make it through to that eventually as well. Was that also a rant? Or am I being too philosophical at this point
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote