Dirk's Works

Dirk's Works (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The International Holidays Thread (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Happy Thanksgiving (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177)

asmay 11-25-2008 03:04 PM

Thanksgiving

I know, it's a bit strange for me to start a thread on Thanksgiving, since in Europe we don't have this holiday, but I'm just curious how you all celebrate this day. (All the info I have, comes from movies and TV shows ... :rolleyes:)

So as to get things started I wrote a little haiku on the subject. If you want to share any funny, moving, weird or crazy stories on Thanksgiving, please do!

Thanksgiving dinner ...
How about MB style foods?
No turkey, no yam,

But brown rice and beans,
Pumpkin soup, a pressed salad.
No cranb'rries, no ham!

You think it's too harsh?
Not yet ready for that switch,
New way of living?

Don't worry for now,
You can always start next year ...
Enjoy Thanksgiving!! ;)

Lucia Helena 11-25-2008 04:23 PM

Re: Thanksgiving

Asmay and friends in Brazil to Thanksgiving is part of our schedule. It is not as valued as before, but we Catholics do a lot of reflection today.
Thank you for everything and for all!
As the spirit of Christmas, the day of thanksgiving should not be a holiday but a common habit in our lives.

Christy 11-25-2008 06:48 PM

Wishing all of you and your families a Blessed, Safe and Happy Thanksgiving !

Take Care & Hugs,
Christy

Love your haiku asmay !

Lucia...that's soo true...The spirit should remain with us all through the year and not just on Thanksgiving and Christmas !

Sharon 11-26-2008 06:19 AM

I would like to wish A Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate! Enjoy your day and long weekend!
Stay safe, happy and healthy...this is the kick-off to Christmas, so let's try to keep the spirit going all year through...like we do here at DBC!
Hugs to all!

bibbi 11-26-2008 01:27 PM

I would like to wish everyone a HAPPY THANKSGIVING who's celebrating. :)

Lucia Helena 11-26-2008 07:07 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

shastastar 11-26-2008 09:10 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night... wait no... that's from a christmas book.... Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on all of your blessings in life, and to be with family and those you love... Safe journey to everyone through this weekend and through life

Cheers Hope Faith Love
SS

Arciris 11-27-2008 02:36 AM

Happy Thanskgiving everyone!!!
Enjoy it who is celebrating it!!
Sweet haiku Asmay.:)
Esther.

Flash 11-27-2008 03:29 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! :) :)

ostarella 11-27-2008 06:09 AM

Just a quickie to all before my "holiday" starts. Got up early so I could have a few minutes with my coffee and cigar before the cooking starts :p Will be toasting the bread in the oven for homemade dressing - one of the first things my mother taught me to make during my "coming of age" in the kitchen ;) - and cooking up the boullion. Once that's done and cooling, time to bake the pie. The one thing that is so totally non-MB - homemade pie crust - lard-based. :( But I only bake pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas so I'm not feeling guilty about that. :oops: By the time I've finished swearing over that (I can't just whip it up like my mother used to but I keep trying anyway :rolleyes:) the boullion will be cooled so I can sautee the onions and celery and then mix everything together for the dressing. Then get the turkey stuffed and throw it in the oven after the pies come out. Regular little assembly line. :p Then I can relax until the last half-hour before the turkey comes out - and then *everything* has to be cooked all at the same time so it's ready when the turkey is. Thank God for microwaves :rolleyes:

And after all that, it'll take an hour to eat and it's all over. And I'll find myself thinking, why did I go through all that for one meal? :confused: :o Maybe my ego - I love to hear the compliments (and I don't even have to threaten (much) to get them :)):)))

So that's Thanksgiving from the cook's point of view :))

deebeelicious 11-27-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ostarella (Post 16290)
Just a quickie to all before my "holiday" starts. Got up early so I could have a few minutes with my coffee and cigar before the cooking starts :p Will be toasting the bread in the oven for homemade dressing - one of the first things my mother taught me to make during my "coming of age" in the kitchen ;) - and cooking up the boullion. Once that's done and cooling, time to bake the pie. The one thing that is so totally non-MB - homemade pie crust - lard-based. :( But I only bake pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas so I'm not feeling guilty about that. :oops: By the time I've finished swearing over that (I can't just whip it up like my mother used to but I keep trying anyway :rolleyes:) the boullion will be cooled so I can sautee the onions and celery and then mix everything together for the dressing. Then get the turkey stuffed and throw it in the oven after the pies come out. Regular little assembly line. :p Then I can relax until the last half-hour before the turkey comes out - and then *everything* has to be cooked all at the same time so it's ready when the turkey is. Thank God for microwaves :rolleyes:

And after all that, it'll take an hour to eat and it's all over. And I'll find myself thinking, why did I go through all that for one meal? :confused: :o Maybe my ego - I love to hear the compliments (and I don't even have to threaten (much) to get them :)):)))

So that's Thanksgiving from the cook's point of view :))

Positive vibes, dear! Lots of positive vibes into the dressing! ;) :) Peace and best wishes to you and everyone else.

(I'm so sad and sorry to see all the carnage happening in the world, esp India & Afghanistan at the moment! :(:(:cry:)

elainesteel 11-27-2008 06:53 AM

Wishing everyone a very happy and safe Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating!

Take care,

Elaine.

asmay 11-27-2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deebeelicious (Post 16291)
Positive vibes, dear! Lots of positive vibes into the dressing! ;) :) Peace and best wishes to you and everyone else.

(I'm so sad and sorry to see all the carnage happening in the world, esp India & Afghanistan at the moment! :(:(:cry:)

Way to go Ostarella! ;) And you are so right: hours of baking and cooking and sauteeing for (sometimes less than) an hour for us to consume it all ....:confused:

Deebee, I so agree with you: the horrors of the world never seem to stop. I've been in Mumbai, in that particular restaurant and in those hotels a few years ago and know the area quite well. :o:( Can't imagine how horrible it must be now ....:cry:

UKJules 11-27-2008 10:36 AM

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving......;)

Hugs to you all

Jules x

bibbi 11-27-2008 06:57 PM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :D

*I may have said that already, but, it doesn't hurt to say it twice!* ;)

shastastar 11-27-2008 09:04 PM

I had a somewhat different assembly line than ostarella, but an assembly line nonetheless... that is what it becomes, for like an hour of eating. But eh.... I agree with you star, I did two pies, made cornbread and crumbled it for dressing, there isn't much time to do anything else if you are the one cooking..... and then I sat and ate my brown rice and squash... nice and so yummy, and then I went back to the hotel and ran.... you have to have a plan for thanksgiving to be successful which brings us all back to " I love it when a plan comes together" and we all know where that line comes from.

Peace to everyone in Mumbai and Peace for the world. Asmay I know how you feel having been where all of this happens. I had been to the trade centers in NYC many times, had college friends that worked there. It really makes you realize how small the world is and how vulnerable we all are.

Peace Hope Faith and Love

SS

asmay 11-28-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shastastar (Post 16306)
I had a somewhat different assembly line than ostarella, but an assembly line nonetheless... that is what it becomes, for like an hour of eating. But eh.... I agree with you star, I did two pies, made cornbread and crumbled it for dressing, there isn't much time to do anything else if you are the one cooking..... and then I sat and ate my brown rice and squash... nice and so yummy, and then I went back to the hotel and ran.... you have to have a plan for thanksgiving to be successful which brings us all back to " I love it when a plan comes together" and we all know where that line comes from.

Peace to everyone in Mumbai and Peace for the world. Asmay I know how you feel having been where all of this happens. I had been to the trade centers in NYC many times, had college friends that worked there. It really makes you realize how small the world is and how vulnerable we all are.

Peace Hope Faith and Love

SS

Great! I'm glad your 'assembly line' worked out okay as well! :cool: Running. eh? Had so much energy left ....? Or just to get away .....? >:):))

And about the second part, yes you are absolutely right, it feels different when such things happen in places you know well. And I'm afraid we are and always will be very vulnerable where such fanatics (whatever their beliefs, nationalities or ideology) are concerned .....:(:cry:

julie1980 11-28-2008 02:18 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate

Christy 11-25-2009 10:09 PM

Happy Thanksgiving !

Hello to ALL !
I would like to wish ALL of you here at DBC who celebrate Thanksgiving a wonderfully blessed day with your loved ones and friends !!
And what I'm thankful for:
My Family, My Friends, My Health and that I still have a Job..although the work volumn has slowed to a snails pace.

BEST WISHES TO ALL !!

Hugs,
Christy

Lucia Helena 11-26-2009 06:40 PM

Re: Happy Thanksgiving !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christy (Post 17981)
Hello to ALL !
I would like to wish ALL of you here at DBC who celebrate Thanksgiving a wonderfully blessed day with your loved ones and friends !!
And what I'm thankful for:
My Family, My Friends, My Health and that I still have a Job..although the work volumn has slowed to a snails pace.
BEST WISHES TO ALL !!
Hugs,
Christy

Thanks Christy!
We should be grateful to God for everything we have and everything we receive.
Happy and blessed Thanksgiving to all

Sharon 11-27-2009 07:23 AM

Re: Happy Thanksgiving !

Sorry I am late, but I really hope that all our American friends had a really terrific Thanksgiving!

John Pickard 11-22-2012 01:53 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

We've got a turkey on the barbecue, casserole in the crock pot, rolls raising - and we're going over to the kids later for the real feast.

We have a lot to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our US-based friends!

I am
Dawg

Lucia Helena 11-22-2012 03:45 PM

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Hallo sweet friends, we all have much to be thankful ... especially the blessing of Life.
I am very busy but do not forget this wonderful place. Kisses and miss ...
Blessed Thanksgiving Day

ojai22 11-11-2013 10:02 PM

Happy Thanksgiving

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

I know this thread is for international holidays and Thanksgiving Day, the 4th Thursday in November, is uniquely American, but there are grateful people around the world who are thankful for what they have. *A day of Thanksgiving is of the heart.

Lack seems to be running rampant throughout the world right now, leaving many folks suffering while we live in a universe of abundance. *There's a great imbalance between what we have and what is available to us. *

I've watched a few episodes of a reality show set in Alaska. *These people have a reverence for Life that touches your heart. *Once a family had to kill a bear so they could make it through the long winter. *As they sat around the dining table eating, each one quietly said, "Thank you, Bear." *A young couple from the same family had to kill 2 more deer for their freezer to help them through the 8 months of winter. *He shot one and had his limit so she had to kill one. *I don't think she had ever killed a deer before but was apparently a good shot. *When she finally fired at the deer she thought she had only wounded it and it would suffer. *She discovered it was actually dead and cried like a baby while her husband held her. *Then she knelt beside the deer, stroked it's neck and said, "Thank you, Deer" over and over while she cried. Their reverence for the life they kill to sustain their own is so remarkable.

I know they are killing animals for food but that's their way of life. *They don't go to the supermarket and buy it wrapped in foam and plastic, so they actually see the impact they have on what they're eating. *We all kill something to sustain ourselves but do we have the same reverence for the bok choy, the carrots, the mushrooms, that we might have if they had hooves and could run from us? *People all over the world have to eat *and many of them are thankful for their sustenance. *That makes Thanksgiving Day special.

Years ago as I was resting quietly I heard a voice inside that said: *Where you place your attention, that's where you build your strength. *Learning about Macrobiotics turns your attention to the nature of the universe and how it operates within and as your own body and life. *The veggies and grains that sacrifice their lives for ours is one of the lessons you learn.

I get so many emails about how doomed our country is, as well as the world. *I have to admit I send *many of them on to others, spreading the doom and gloom. *Perhaps turning attention to the good that we already have would help to improve our condition. *

Wherever you live I wish you well and a very Happy Thanksgiving.

ojai22 11-11-2013 10:06 PM

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Oh my! I just read the topic "Welcome" and realize I should have posted this in that thread. Sorry. :cry: